Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Technology, bah!

Isn't technology wonderful? Isn't it grand? Wow, we can access the world with a click of a mouse! We carry hand-sized computers in our pockets and purses that can do everything from take a picture to make dinner reservations to even track an exact location of someone (if you're into that kind of stuff)! We can Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Skype or (insert clever app name here) from just about anywhere at anytime. But if something goes wrong with your "device", (phone, laptop, tablet, pad...), you are screwed. Case in point...my old laptop.

Oh, she's a trooper all right. I really shouldn't complain because she's still pluggin' along, but she's thrown a few fits lately. For the most part this ol' laptop has been a pretty good workhorse. I bought this computer when I worked as a traveling salesperson for a head wear company. This laptop was my traveling companion. Each night in another lonely motel room it kept me connected to my family and friends through email or helped pass time with games like Spider Solitaire or Mahjong Titans. I surfed the web, watched DVDs and endless cute kitten videos on YouTube. This old dinosaur has been infected with more than one virus, been near death but cleaned up and brought back to life by a very talented techie friend. (Thanks, Eric!)

These days she hobbles slowly along but she continues to get the job done. Recently, though the old girl decided to trip me up. First, she decided that she no longer wanted to connect wirelessly. (Is that even a word-wirelessly? Well, you know what I mean, right?) Okay, so I dug out the old connector cable and wired up. Problem solved! Two days later she decides she prefers wireless after all. No explanation, nothing, she just decides to work! Hmm... Okie dokie. All's well til a few days later when I turn it on and it takes forever to boot up! When it finally does my homepage has completely disappeared along with all my documents, pictures, games and programs. Uhh...

Long story short I managed to restore the old girl to her former glory or so I thought. Everything was restored except it wouldn't publish my blog posts or let me download from itunes, After weeks of trying this and that and searching the internet for an answer I found a few possible solutions. After some trial and error I found something that worked! Don't trip, I am NOT that tech savvy, it was luck, pure luck. Bottom line I'm up and running again. (Take that, finicky technology!) Yay me!

In the meantime I continued to write my blog. I have several in the pipeline but I don't want to publish them all at once, though. So, I'll start with this one and release the next one in a couple days or so. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my!! I can so relate! I have an older computer which I use for work and have had it now for 10yrs. has been awesome but now it is slowing down. I have a new tablet computer and talk about tempermental!! ugh! Look forward to reading your next article :0)